first bmw that i have owned. bought it for cheap because previous owner had been working on it for two years and was fed up with it, local mechanics could not solve issue. quite a learning curve when you have not even seen the abbreviations that bmw uses if you are used to domestic abbreviations. had two main codes that where for power to dme. I incorrectly tested relay in box that houses dme and relay on face of fuse panel both where good and had power in/out. I felt that dme replacement would be next step and because there was some posted issues with msd80 it would not be a total loss if this solved no start.
sent cas, key, dme msd81 to Victoria rpm motorsport they promptly recoded and sent back. did not solve problem but eliminated a whole bunch of testing.
same two codes I think one was 2ACC. did some more reading and it turns out that DME power is supplied by a relay that is on circuit board inside fuse panel. tested power at DME and by grounding connector wire. (guessing pin 1 in connector at top left corner of box , memory is not great). took apart fuse panel contemplated soldering on new relay, could not find replacement relay. purchased used fuse panel from auto wreaker for $90.00 installed and car stated! ran very rough because of two year old fuel put in some sea foam and filled tank. drove around for a hour lots of miss fire codes and others cleared codes, drove some more cleared codes. car is running great but still have 4x4 abs traction control codes that are reappearing. RPM motorsports service was excellent.
Thanks for sharing your experience Ross and for the honest review.
Product was sent on time. Installed and work with no problems. I accidentally send in the wrong part and these guys were awesome enough to go out of there way to help me send in the right part, no extra charge included. If I could give these guys 100 stars I would! I highly recommend this company.
It was a pleasure fixing your issue. Thank you so much for your kind words :)
Works as described.
Jeff was awesome in helping facilitate this. I had a ton of questions and he answered all of them. 2007 335xi with the MSD80 had fried MOSFETs. Found a used MSD81, sent it to RPM, and legitimate plug n play. Extremely fast turnaround.
Thank you for this! :)
BMW MSD80 to MSD81 ECU DME Upgrade Service 08/2006 to 08/2008
This is a BMW MSD80 to MSD81 UPGRADE SERVICE for any E-Series with a N54 engines equipped with DME MSD80.
This Service is useful if you are afraid of the MSD80 problems such as Injector and Ignition replacements, along with most of the time your MSD80 will get fried and would need a replacement or a repair.
- BMW 1 Series E82 135i Years 12/2006 To 08/2008 N54 engines
- BMW 1 Series E88 135i From 12/2006 To 08/2008 N54 engines
- BMW 3 Series E90 335i Years 08/2006 To 08/2008 N54 engines
- BMW 3 Series E91 335xi Years 08/2006 To 08/2008 N54 engines
- BMW 3 Series E92 335i Years 08/2006 To 08/2008 N54 engines
- BMW 3 Series E93 335i Years 08/2006 To 08/2008 N54 engines
- BMW 5 Series E60 535i / 535xi From 04/2008 To 08/2008 N54 engines
- BMW Z4 Series E89 35i Years 07/2008 To 08/2008 N54 engines
DME / ECU SUPPORT LIST
You will need to provide a USED MSD81 from the supported numbers below (Siemens MSD81)
- 7578033 - 7578034 - 7579011 - 7579012
- 7583324 - 7583325 - 7585540 - 7585541
- 7585711 - 7585712 - 7585889 - 7585890
- 7586933 - 7586934 - 7590871 - 7590872
- 7592080 - 7592081 - 7593493 - 7593494
- 7596019 - 7596020 - 7596022 - 7596021
- 7600427 - 7600428 - 7601865 - 7601866
- 7602118 - 7602119 - 7604567 - 7604568
- 7604593 - 7604594 - 7605662 - 7605663
- 7608621 - 7608622 - 7611358 - 7611359
- 7612455 - 7612456 - 7614620 - 7614620
- 7616431 - 7616432 - 7618935 - 7618936
- 7622911 - 7622912